Mango Bread

January 06, 2012

Mango Bread

The recipe for this luscious, moist mango bread comes from one of my favourite vegan food blogs - Holy Cow!. I found it shortly after going vegan and it became a great source of inspiration. Vaishali, the blog's author, takes us on a fascinating culinary journey around the world, featuring mainly traditional recipes from various regions in India. But she offers a lot more than just delicious vegan recipes, and that includes valuable information for new vegans, nutrition, animal rights, travel, traditions, book reviews, exciting giveaways and roundups.

I was captured by her impressive collection of mango recipes, particularly this appetizing whole wheat mango bread. I did make 2 small modifications: I reduced the sugar to 1/2 cup because the mango pulp I used was already sweetened, and I added only 1 tsp cardamom powder since I'm not used to having it in sweets. No doubt, fresh mango pulp is best for this bread, but since it was easier to get canned Kesar mango pulp at that time, I used it. My favourite type of whole wheat flour is the one that has bits of bran in it, not the finely ground type. It gives this bread a wonderful texture and adds a nutty flavour as well. I wholeheartedly recommend you browse through Vaishali's recipes and try this mouthwatering mango bread.

Mango Bread

Mango Bread

Dry Ingredients
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cardamom powder (or crush the seeds of a few pods)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Whisk together until well combined.

Wet Ingredients
  • 4 Tb sunflower oil
  • 1/2 cup unrefined caster sugar (increase to 3/4 cup if using unsweetened mango pulp)
  • 2 Tb ground flax seeds
  • 2 cups sweetened mango pulp
Mix all ingredients until well combined.

Mango Bread

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease a 23x13 cm (9"x5") loaf pan with oil or butter.
  2. Mix the wet and dry ingredients until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean or with a few dry crumbs on it, but no uncooked batter.
  3. Remove the pan onto a wire rack and let sit until the bread has completely cooled. Transfer the bread to a plate, slice and serve.

Enjoy and spread the magic:)


A lot of time, effort and passion goes into each recipe I post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you made this recipe, then please take a minute of your time to leave me a comment. And if you like it, please share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all in advance!

10 comments:

Vaishali

Adriana, the mango bread's come out beautifully. Thanks for your kind words about my blog. I am looking forward to seeing more wonderful recipes on yours.

Vegan Magic

Vaishali, I am so happy that you liked it and I look forward to trying out more of your amazing recipes:)

Achala

I tried out the mango bread, it turned out yummalicious :)) Thank you so much for the recipe.

Can't wait to try out the other recipes from your blog.
Achala

Vegan Magic

Thank you so much for your feedback Achala:) I'm very happy that you enjoyed the mango bread:)

Elisabetta

Mangoes are among orange fruits and vegetables which not only give us an excellent support in vitamines but are also capable of lifting our mood up by their color and, of course they taste amazing so, making a multiple level satisfation cake like this one guess how you could feel afterwards. Thanks to the blogger for having choose and reported this recipe in particular, non only saving us the time of searching an appropriate and not too sweet one but most of all because having one recipe here makes once again this blog a proof of his reliability

Vegan Magic

Thank you so much for yet another wonderful comment Elisabetta:) I agree with what you wrote about mangoes, I love their amazing flavour.

It's a pleasure for me to share the great recipes I find and I'm very happy you enjoyed this one:)

shweta

great recipe...vegan..awesome

Vegan Magic

I'm very happy you like it, Shweta. Thank you for stopping by:)

Allison

I made this bread today as I did have some mango's that were getting on (after buying them cheaply). I did 'tweak' the recipe however with the sugar. As I am TRYING to cut down my sugar consumption I used 'Loving Earth' Coconut Sugar! I am pleased to say that the bread is delicious although it is a darker color than yours due to the darkness of the sugar

Vegan Magic

Allison, that's fantastic news:) Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I'm really happy you could modify the recipe to be in line with your needs. I have more mango recipes coming up, I hope you like them too:) Have a lovely day!

Previous Next Home